USING THE DCAC THEATER
The black box theater at DCAC provides an essential platform for local, national, and international theatre groups, musicians, and performance artists. Perfect for intimate performances, the theater is a rough but ready space with lights, sound, and a modest backstage. Full length plays eligible for Helen Hayes nominations, find-your-own-venue DC Fringe performances, monthly showcases, poetry readings, stand-up comedy, improv shows, independent film screenings, CD release parties, and anything else people will sit down and watch are presented in our theater. We offer regular shows at 7:30pm, matinees on Saturdays and Sundays at 3:00pm as well as 10:0pm late shows on Fridays and Saturdays. Our space can also be rented for rehearsals, auditions, and photo shoots.
The theater is small, so everyone who uses it must be mindful of the others who use the space. All sets and props must be struck at the end of each performance to ensure that everyone has the same access to the full and open space. Performances are listed on our website and included in all of our regular press materials. Applications are accepted year-round, but for best selection plan ahead.
7:30 pm Wednesday through Sunday (usage time 6:30 pm – 9:30 pm)
10:00 pm on Friday and/or Saturday (usage time 9:30 pm – 12:00 am)
3:00 pm on Saturday and/or Sunday (usage time 2:00 pm – 5:30 pm)
RENTAL RATES PER SLOT:
Thursday, Friday, Saturday at 7:30 pm, Friday and Saturday at 10:00 pm
Flat fee: $225 ($195 for DCAC members), artist keeps 100% of the box office, or
Split: $155 ($125 for DCAC members) plus 30% of box office to DCAC, 70% to artist
Wednesday at 7:30 pm, Saturday at 3:00 pm, Sunday at 3:00 pm or 7:30 pm
Flat fee: $175 ($145 for DCAC members), artist keeps 100% of the box office, or
Split: $130 ($100 for DCAC members) plus 30% of box office to DCAC, 70% to artist
Rehearsal rate is $20 per hour for groups performing at DCAC and DCAC members, $30 per hour for others. Rehearsals must take place outside of the regular performance slots unless special arrangements have been made.
STEPS FOR RENTING
- Carefully review the DCAC Theater Manual. We are serious about everything it contains.
- Decide on precise dates for your performance with your production team. It is advisable to also select alternative dates and plan for rehearsals if needed.
- Fill out the form below or, if you prefer, download the PDF of the Performance Proposal Form, complete it legibly, and email, fax or mail it to us.
- You will receive a phone call or email from the Managing Director who will either confirm your dates or work with you to find alternate dates that work for you and DCAC.
- Once the dates are agreed upon we will send you a contract and box office information sheet. Review the contract carefully.
- Send back the signed contract, box office sheet, and deposit within two weeks. Keep a copy of the contract for your records. After signing this contract, you are responsible for payment of the full amount agreed upon, regardless of cancellation.
- Your show is now scheduled.
- Submit your press information (with photos, 300 dpi) to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible so that we can publicize your show.
- Schedule a technical walk through with your technical staff and director. Access to the space will not be granted until this occurs. If necessary, you will receive a key at that time and all technical or production questions will be answered.
Please thoroughly read through our DCAC Theater Manual before submitting your proposal.